NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There are plenty of reasons an investor could use to make the case to sell shares of Chesapeake Energy (CHK), but right now the best argument may be that the all-important liquids production growth story is showing signs of vulnerability.
Chesapeake's balance sheet issues are well known and already account for the big discount its shares trade at relative to peers and relative to its assets. The range of Wall Street ratings on the company already clearly defines the glass half-full or half-empty argument.
Analyst David Heikkinen of Tudor Pickering has a $51 price target on Chesapeake shares, which more or less implies that the company deserves full value today for its collection of assets, regardless of its balance sheet concerns.
|Is the Chesapeake Energy liquids growth story less than it's talked up to be?|
Joseph Allman of JPMorgan has a $14.50 price target on Chesapeake, and argues that the company's funding gap may be
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV