For Post-Merger Takeoff, a Logo Needs Lift
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Ellen Sluder and Neil Wieloch, CoreBrand
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the market reacts to the latest announcement of job cuts and cost cutting at American Airlines, (AMR) speculation of a takeover is heating up. US Airways (LCC), who had failed in previous attempts to acquire or merge with United (UAL) and Delta (DAL), has been named by many as an obvious suitor, as well as the private equity firm TPG Capital, in partnership with British Airways. Even AMR's CEO Tom Horton himself has been talking future industry consolidation -- with a newly reinvigorated American Airlines at the M&A helm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV