When originally launched two years ago, PHYS shares for a while traded at over 20% net asset value premium, making them initially unreasonably pricey compared to physical bullion (a major marketing angle is the ability to PHYS shares to be exchanged for the underlying gold bars with a large enough amount). As the GLD and PHYS performance has now largely converged, the current 2.5% net asset value premium is well worth the peace of mind, given that the physical bars are audited on a regular basis in a vault in Canada.
Silver Is Not a Perfect Alternative
While the Sprott organization also launched the Sprott Physical Silver Trust (PSLV) with similar characteristics allowing for the exchange of the shares for physical silver bars with a large enough amount, investors should not treat silver as an alternative to gold. Silver is predominately an industrial metal -- the same way platinum and palladium are -- and it tends to be weaker than gold in times of economic uncertainly. While U.S. economic data is notably improving, in Europe economic statistics have been deteriorating.
It is no wonder than silver topped out in late April 2011, just as the European situation notably got worse and has since not been able to recover all losses. The same goes for platinum and palladium. If you are looking to invest in precious metals as a hedge against central bank extreme monetary policies, stick with gold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV