Liberty Media Corporation (“Liberty”) (Nasdaq: LMCA, LMCB) today reported fourth quarter and year end 2011 results. Highlights include (1):
- Increased STARZ and ENCORE subscriptions by 8% and 1%, respectively
- Premiered the STARZ Original series, Spartacus: Vengeance on January 27 th, to strong, sustained viewership
- Announced new STARZ Original series, Marco Polo, in collaboration with The Weinstein Company and Electus
- Extended Starz affiliation agreement with AT&T U-verse
- Enhanced Starz liquidity with $1.5 billion credit facility
- Value of Liberty’s equity stake in SiriusXM increased to $5.4 billion as of February 22 nd, 2012
Repurchased $124 million of Liberty Media stock from November 1
through January 31
- Repurchased $49 million of old Liberty Starz stock from November 1 st through November 28 th, 2011
“Starz again posted impressive subscriber gains and accelerated its slate of STARZ Original content with Boss and Spartacus: Vengeance,” stated Greg Maffei, Liberty President and CEO. “We created an asset backed stock and took advantage of the soft equity markets repurchasing $173 million worth of our shares. SiriusXM again posted record results and our equity investment in the company is now worth over $5.4 billion.”
Liberty Media’s revenue increased 96% to $1.0 billion in the fourth quarter and 48% to $3.0 billion for the year. Adjusted OIBDA (2) increased 205% to $323 million for the fourth quarter and 227% to $1.1 billion for the year, while operating income increased 241% to $293 million in the fourth quarter and 391% to $957 million for the year. The increase in revenue, adjusted OIBDA and operating income for the fourth quarter and the year is primarily related to the one-time recognition of previously deferred revenue and costs at TruePosition.
Starz, LLC“Starz finished 2011 with solid business performance, including record highs in both STARZ and ENCORE subscriptions,” said Chris Albrecht, Starz, LLC, CEO. “We could not be more pleased with the performance of Spartacus: Vengeance, which continues to set record new viewership marks for a STARZ Original series. The anticipation for April’s Magic City is growing and we are heartened by the strong demand received in the global marketplace. Finally, the recent AT&T U-verse affiliation and Lionsgate movie library licensing agreements fortified our distribution business and long-term content pipeline respectively.” Starz’s revenue increased 8% to $432 million for the fourth quarter and decreased 1% to $1.6 billion for the year. The increase in revenue for the fourth quarter was primarily a result of an increase in home video revenue due to the distribution agreement entered into in 2011 with The Weinstein Company LLC and an increase in revenue from the Starz Channels. Revenue for the year decreased due to the shutdown of the theatrical production and distribution operations in 2010 and the sale of a portion of the animation business in early 2011. Such decreases more than offset revenue increases in 2011 from the Starz Channels and the home video business. Subscribers increased 8% and 1% for the STARZ and ENCORE linear channels, respectively, for the fourth quarter compared to the fourth quarter 2010. Subscription growth in 2011 was negatively impacted by a lack of cooperative marketing campaigns with certain distribution partners and a reduction in subscribers from one flat rate deal affiliate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV