Immersion Corporation (Nasdaq:IMMR), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, today announced
, a new OEM build-time tool for Android mobile devices. HD Integrator allows OEMs to use high fidelity haptics to provide meaningful information and communicate more clearly with users via the sense of touch. Demonstrations of HD Integrator will be on display at the GSMA Mobile World Congress February 27-March 1 at the App Planet Hall, stand number 7C56.
Immersion’s original Integrator product, launched in February 2011, gave OEMs the ability to automatically apply haptic effects throughout the Android UI to provide a more consistent and customized experience. HD Integrator extends the original Integrator platform to tap the specialized capabilities of high fidelity actuators.
“With HD Integrator, OEMs can easily incorporate dynamic HD haptics throughout the Android UI, resulting in a more responsive and higher quality haptic experience,” said Dennis Sheehan, vice president of marketing for Immersion. “In addition, HD Integrator harnesses the capabilities of high fidelity actuators to serve as a communication channel to the user, an engaging entertainment platform, and a point of distinction.”
Enabling New Experiences through HD Haptics
“Haptics are traditionally used for reactive interactions, where users press a virtual button and receive touch confirmation. HD Integrator gives OEMs the opportunity to associate haptic effects with new types of information, such as the amount of force and speed used in a phone gesture, application information such as tags, metadata and audio tracks, or data from embedded GPS and accelerometers,” explained Chris Ullrich, vice president of user experience at Immersion. “The intelligence and responsiveness of HD haptics creates an environment where haptics can augment the mobile experience by communicating this information to the user.”
Immersion embarked on a series of research & design studies to create the new experiences enabled through HD Integrator. Studying how users build mental models based on expectations from the physical world about how things should look, sound and feel, Immersion identified how haptics helps users anticipate device behavior, providing reassurance and a more intuitive interface. Immersion identified three new and revolutionary core experiences enabled with HD Integrator.
- Ambient Awareness: With HD Integrator, haptics can dynamically inform and influence behavior. For example, using metadata to tag a post within a social network with a specific feel, the user receives tactile information indicating relative importance which suggests viewing the post.
- Heightened Realism: The speed, responsiveness, and broad range of effect capabilities substantially improve UX by seamlessly connecting the audio, visual and touch feedback. HD Integrator offers a wide range of nuanced effects, and the ability to incorporate simultaneous effects, simulating real world experiences in video content, apps, gaming and music.
- Distinct Experience: As OEMs increasingly look to the user interface and software to create a distinct identity for its brand, haptics will play a more important part in the branded user experience. Nuanced effects allow OEMs to create a haptic personality for their device. An OEM could define their brand through a metallic, heavy touch experience versus a soft and springy feel.
HD Integrator works exclusively with Immersion’s
TouchSense 5000 software
on Android devices to exploit the unique capabilities of high fidelity actuators that are being adopted in mobile devices today. These actuators deliver virtually instant response times and a broad frequency range of sensations, allowing for subtle and nuanced effects and distinct, seamless experiences. Key HD Integrator features include:
: Today’s mobile UIs take full advantage of the sensing and processing capabilities of the handsets to create dynamic and animated UIs. Immersion’s HD Integrator enables support for various elements throughout Android:
- Expanded Effect Libraries: With HD Integrator, a branded UI can feel metallic, soft or springy; the user can feel the difference between subtle or strong cue.
- Gesture Support: Gestures can be performed both on screen and/or with the phone itself -- HD Integrator supports both. Using the touchscreen interface as well as the accelerometer, gesturing can be enhanced with touch feedback.
- Animation Support: UIs dynamically change based on content and user input. HD Integrator delivers continuous effects that transform animations into multi-modal experiences.
: HD Reverb translates audio into high fidelity haptic effects, enhancing a wide range of mobile content with specialized haptics available only with HD technology. HD Integrator provides the ability to automatically apply haptics to audio-enabled content and tools to tailor the Reverb experience based on the content or application.
HD Integrator can layer haptics to deliver simultaneous effects that are distinguishable. Particularly applicable in video and gaming applications, a user can feel an explosion and gunfire happening in their hands at the same time, enhancing the action on the screen.
Android 4.0 Integration:
Android 4.0 offers new features, such as an animated UI and bundled applications. HD Integrator rapidly integrates dynamic effects throughout the Android 4.0 UI, creating a more engaging haptic experience that is deeply integrated into the OS. This integration includes:
- Theme Support: To enable user, OEM and carrier customizations of the overall feeling of the OS and apps that use the Android widget SDK
- Bundled Apps: Integration of HD effects into the home screen, People, Camera and Gallery
Early evaluation software is available to select device manufacturers today, while a full version of HD Integrator is expected to be broadly available for OEM evaluation in mid-2012. For more information, visit
About Immersion (
Founded in 1993, Immersion (NASDAQ: IMMR) is the leading innovator in
; the company's touch feedback solutions deliver a more compelling sense of the digital world. Using Immersion's high-fidelity haptic systems, partners can transform user experiences with unique and customizable touch feedback effects; excite the senses in games, videos and music; restore "mechanical" feel by providing intuitive and unmistakable confirmation; improve safety by overcoming distractions while driving or performing a medical procedure; and expand usability when audio and visual feedback are ineffective. Immersion's TouchSense technology provides haptics in mobile phone, automotive, gaming, medical and consumer electronics products from world-class companies. With over 1,200 issued or pending patents in the U.S. and other countries, Immersion helps bring the digital universe to life.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties as well as assumptions that, if they never materialize or prove incorrect, could cause the results of Immersion Corporation and its consolidated subsidiaries to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements.