NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Popular searches on the Internet Thursday include Credit Agricole as the French bank reported a wider-than-expected €3.07 billion ($4.06 billion) loss in the fourth quarter as the European debt crisis weighed down its bottom line.
This marks the bank's largest quarterly loss in its history. The results include more than €2 billion in quarterly one-off charges the bank disclosed in December. Credit Agricole has been largely impacted by the debt crisis due to its ownership of Greek bank Emporiki.
Bill Gates is trending as the Microsoft (MSFT) founder called for United Nations food agencies to find new ways to help farmers in poor countries. Gates, in a speech, asked the agencies to find a common and measurable global target for sustainable productivity growth, as the current approach for fighting poverty and hunger is outdated and efficient. Gates also announced nearly $200 million in grants, which will fund agricultural development projects that farmers are already finding success with. The goal is to help millions of farmers get out of poverty.
Overdraft fees is another popular search as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has launched an inquiry into checking account overdraft programs and how they impact the consumer.
The CFPB's "What's your overdraft status?" campaign could stand to impact bank revenue, as its goal is to educate consumers on the fees. For banks like Bank of America (BAC) and JP Morgan Chase (JPM), the inquiry could threaten to take revenue from them, after they already were impacted from increased regulation in recent years.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV