This conference call contains time-sensitive information that is accurate only as of the date of this live broadcast, February 22, 2012. We undertake no obligation to revise or update any statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of this call.
For the fourth quarter of 2011, total operating expenses were $30.6 million compared to $32.1 million for the fourth quarter of 2010 and $32.8 million for the third quarter of 2011. R&D expenses were $20.2 million for the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to $24.2 million for the fourth quarter of 2010 and $23.1 million for the third quarter of 2011. The decrease in R&D expenses for the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to the same quarter in 2010 was primarily due to the termination of our insulin supply agreement as we did not purchase insulin in the current quarter, partially offset by an increase in clinical trial-related activities as trials MKC-175 and MKC-171 were initiated in the fourth quarter of 2011. The decrease in R&D expenses this quarter from last quarter was primarily due to our final purchase of insulin under our insulin supply agreement in the third quarter of 2011.
General and administrative expenses were $10.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to $7.9 million for the fourth quarter of 2010 and $9.6 million for the previous quarter of this year. General and administrative expenses remained stable quarter-over-quarter except for the fourth quarter of 2010, reflected lower G&A costs due to nonpayment of bonuses for 2010.
The net loss applicable to common stockholders for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $36.4 million or $0.30 per share based on a weighted average of 122.4 million shares outstanding compared with a net loss applicable to common stockholders of $38.3 million or $0.33 per share on 114.9 million weighted average shares outstanding for the fourth quarter of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV