5. Consolidated Edison (ED)
Company profile: Consolidated Edison, with a $17 billion market value, owns two regulated utilities: Con Ed of New York and Orange & Rockland. They provide steam, natural gas, and electricity to customers in southeastern New York, including New York City, and parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Investor takeaway: Its shares are down 5.8% this year, but have a three-year annualized return of 20% and, over 10 years, it's 7.1% annually. Its shares have a 4.18% dividend yield. Analysts give its shares 12 "hold" ratings, six "weak holds," and two "sells." It's expected to earn $3.74 this year and that it will grow by 3% next year.
4. Kellogg (K)Company profile: Kellogg, with a market value of $18 billion, is one of the world's largest producers and marketers of cereal, cookies, crackers, and other convenience foods under the brands: Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Pop-Tarts, Eggo, Keebler and Morningstar Farms. Its products are sold in more than 180 countries and international sales are about a third of its revenue. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 2.8% and have a three-year annualized return of 12% and, over 10 years, the annual return is 6.4%. Its shares have a 3.31% dividend yield. Analysts give its shares three "buy" ratings, one "buy/hold," 18 "holds," and one "weak hold." 3. Kimberly-Clark (KMB) Company profile: Kimberly-Clark, a $28 billion company, is one of the world's largest health and hygiene products makers, selling bathroom tissues, diapers, feminine products and paper towels. Its brands include Kleenex, Scott, Huggies and Kotex. Non-U.S. sales are about 45% of revenue. Investor takeaway: Its shares are down 3% this year, but have a three-year annualized return of 18% and, over 10 years, it's 4%. They carry a 3.92% dividend yield. Analysts give its shares one "buy" rating, one "buy/hold," 13 "holds," and one "weak hold," according to an S&P survey. 2. Procter & Gamble (PG) Company profile: Procter & Gamble, with a market value of $177 billion, is the world's largest consumer-products manufacturer, with a lineup of famous household brands that include: Tide laundry detergent, Charmin toilet paper, Pantene shampoo, Cover Girl cosmetics, Gillette shaving products, and Iams pet food. Investor takeaway: Its shares are down 2.7% but have a three-year annualized return of 11.8% and, over 10 years, the average return is 6.6% annually. The stock carries a dividend of 3.26%. Analysts give its shares eight "buy" ratings, six "buy/holds," 10 "holds," and one "weak hold." Those same analysts project earnings of $4.05 per share this year and that they will grow 9% next year. 1. Southern (SO) Company profile: Southern, one of the most widely held stocks in the U.S., generates and distributes electricity to more than 4.4 million customers in the Southeast. It owns four electric utilities -- in Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi. Investor takeaway: Its shares are down 3.8% this year, but have a three-year annualized return of 18% and, over 10 years, its average annual return is 9%. The stock carries a dividend of 4.29%. S&P has its shares rated "hold," on valuation concerns, but said it expects long-term operating earnings growth of 4% to 7% and that dividends will continue to grow in the range of 3.8% annually. Analysts give its shares two "buy" ratings, one "buy/hold," 15 "holds," three "weak holds," and one "sell."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV