(Editor's note: TheStreet today named 82 mutual funds and exchange traded funds, or ETFs, winners and runners-up in its second annual awards ceremony. A list of the funds and related articles can be found on the awards page.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With investors unnerved by the euro crisis, foreign stocks around the globe sank in 2011. The average foreign large value fund lost 12.9%, while diversified emerging markets funds dropped 19.9%, according to Morningstar.
But through all the rough times, Tweedy, Browne Global Value (TBGVX) proved relatively resilient. The fund lost only 4.1%, outperforming 95% of its peers in the foreign large value category.
Besides showing strength in the downturn, Tweedy, Browne also beat most peers during the rallies of 2009 and 2010. The returns are particularly noteworthy because the fund has long ranked as one of the least risky members of its category. That performance enabled Tweedy, Browne to win the TheStreet's Best Funds 2012 award in the category of international core stock.
|John Spears, Bob Wyckoff, Tom Shrager and Will Browne oversee the top-ranked Tweedy, Browne Global Value Fund.|
1. To be eligible for consideration, an open-end mutual fund needed at least a three-year history on Dec. 31, 2011, and still be accepting new assets from retail investors; for exchange traded funds, a one-year history. 2. Half of the rating is based on performance metrics, including total return minus expenses, with a weighting to give long-term performance greater emphasis. 3. The other half of the rating is based upon risk metrics, including standard deviation, size of trough-to-peak (drawdown factor), semi-standard deviation and beta. The lower the risk, the better. 4. Top and runner-up funds and ETFs were selected in a variety of categories (funds and ETF were placed in categories via Lipper data).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV