The broad indexes showed slight declines, despite a report by the National Association of Realtors that existing home sales in January increased 4.3% to an annual rate of 4.57 million, which was the strongest sales growth since May of 2010.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau announced an "inquiry into checking account overdraft programs" which may have sent a chill into bank executives and investors, after the huge drops in service charges on deposit accounts from rules implemented in 2010, requiring banks only to offer expensive ATM and debit card overdraft protection to customers who previously opted-in for the service, followed by a vicious hit to revenue from the Durbin Amendment's caps on debit card interchange fees in October of last year.
The The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) declined 2% to close at 44.62, with all 24 index components showing declines.In his report highlighting banks growing their commercial and industrial loan portfolios, Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin said that Comerica grew its commercial loan portfolio by 8% during the fourth quarter, to $25.0 billion as of Dec. 30, while the Dallas Lender's totl loans grew 3.5%, to $42.7 billion. Usdin said that "growth in C&I led the way as CMA experienced a strong quarter in its dealer finance and mortgage banker businesses," but that Comerica's "forward guidance is fairly cautious given the company is only calling for 2%-5% average loan growth in 2012." The analyst rates Comerica a "Hold," with a $28 price target, and estimates the company will earn $2.40 a share in 2012, followed by EPS of $2.50 in 2013. Comerica's shares have now returned 14% year-to-date, after a 38% decline in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV