Updated with additional comment from Frank Mayer, a partner in the Financial Services Practice Group of Pepper Hamilton.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's new focus on overdraft fees will cause banks to strengthen their most profitable customer relationships, while cutting loose consumers that continue to drain the bottom line, according to industry analysts.
"It costs between $100 and $120 a year to maintain a checking account for your customer," says FBR analyst Paul Miller. "
|Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray|
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or CFPB, on Wednesday announced that it had "launched an inquiry into checking account overdraft programs to determine how these practices are impacting consumers," with Director Richard Cordray saying that "overdraft practices have the capacity to inflict serious economic harm on the people who can least afford it."The CFPB said that a study by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation found that consumers who overdrew 20 or more times per year paid an average of $1,610 in overdraft fees annually." Cordray requested comment on a new "penalty fee box" disclosure statement, that would make it easier for consumers to understand just how much they were paying in overdraft fees. Of course, one would think that a depositor would realize if they were hit with heavy overdraft fees, but clear disclosure is always a good thing. But there were several hints in the CFPB release that the big banks are looking at another money grab, justified by the "disproportionate Impact on low-income and young consumers," with "46.4 percent of young adult accountholders
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV