NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tech stocks are on a tear this year, boosting the Nasdaq over 13% since January. The tech-heavy composite is also nearing 3,000 -- a milestone it hasn't reached since the bubble days of 2000.
Nasdaq gains have outpaced increases from the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has jumped 6% this year, as well as the S&P 500 which has risen 8%.
Social gaming specialist Zynga (ZNGA), for example, has been one of 2012's key rebound stocks, surging nearly 38% this year thanks to largely to its partner Facebook. Unsurprisingly, tech behemoth Apple (AAPL) is another of the sector's leaders as the gadget giant scales new heights.
But not every tech company has benefited from this year's tech rally.Here are five tech leaders -- and laggards -- for 2012. Leaders:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV