BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Sometimes, the best buying opportunities come from finding the stocks that everyone else hates.
That's one of the key tenants of contrarian investing, a school of market thought that's predicated on the idea that the crowd is wrong at turning points. If years like 2008 have taught us anything, it's that even the biggest stocks can get mispriced over long periods of time -- and investors who spot those mispricings can profit.
That's why we're looking at a set of heavily shorted blue-chip stocks today. That's right, even blue-chips can become the target of short-sellers when faced with major economic headwinds, flawed financials or another catalyst that could send shares lower. Large-cap names also have more analyst eyes on them, and as a result, they tend to snap back more quickly than smaller names.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV