Gold for April delivery was falling $1.20 at $1,757.30 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,761.80 and as low as $1,750.70 an ounce while the spot price was down $5.90, according to Kitco's gold index.
On Tuesday, Greece secured a second, €130 billion bailout package -- helping push the Dow briefly above the key psychological 13,000 mark. Gold for April delivery closed up $32.60 at $1,758.50 an ounce.
"US-based bullion dealers we polled over the past week report 'quiet' conditions and only 'sporadic' telephone call and transaction volumes, with would-be buyers of gold and silver only making an appearance in the wake of substantial rallies and not really buying on the dips," said John Nadler, senior metals analyst with Kitco Metals. Nadler also noted a Reuters report suggesting that India -- the world's largest gold consumer -- could see gold imports fall as much as 35% this year as inflation eases and stocks rally. The Indian government expects gold imports to come in at $38 billion in 2012 compared with an estimated $58 billion this year. Gold mining stocks were trading mixed Wednesday. Kinross Gold (KGC) was down 0.7% at $11.28 while Randgold Resources (GOLD) was up 0.5% at $113.73. Agnico-Eagle (AEM) was gaining 1.4% at $37.06 and Eldorado Gold (EGO) was losing 0.4% at $14.34. -- Written by Ross Tucker in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ross Tucker. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/rosstucker. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV