China Southern Airlines
Last up is China Southern Airlines (ZNH), a Gangzhou-based airline that carried more than 11 million passengers last year. Shares of ZNH have been trading in a triangle of a different sort for the past few months: a symmetrical triangle.
Unlike the ascending triangles in LFC and YZC, a symmetrical triangle is a setup that's formed by trendlines that are converging at approximately the same rate. The trading strategy is essentially the same as they'd be in an if/then setup. You want to be a buyer if shares breakout above trend line resistance, or a seller if they break down below trend line support.
A symmetrical triangle is unique because it shows us that there's a volatility squeeze taking shape in shares of ZNH. Because volatility is cyclical, moving from periods of high volatility to periods of low volatility, the implication is that a break outside of ZNH's channel will come in the form of a sizable move. That's why it's crucial to keep a close eye on shares now. When the breakout does happen, the 50-day moving average is a strong place for a protective stop.To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV