The following commentary is from an investment professional with Clear Harbor Asset Management who is a participant in TheStreet's expert contributor program.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I've always been annoyed when I'm shopping for a product that is priced one penny below a flat dollar amount, like $19.99. Does the seller honestly believe I'm dumb enough to look at the price tag and think I'm paying any less than 20 bucks? Is it really a good idea to try and dupe your customer into thinking they're paying less than they really are with such a transparent ploy?
Apparently, the answer is yes. Everywhere I go, I see this pricing strategy in action. Fly round-trip to Miami for just $49.99! Buy an iPad 2 for just $499.99! There is even a so-called "dollar store" chain called 99 Cents Only Stores (NDN), which is really sticking it to higher-cost rivals like Dollar General (DG) and Family Dollar (FDO). Back in 2008, they announced raising their top price point for the first time in 26 years from 99 cents to 99.99 cents -- perhaps the most irritating move in the history of retail.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV