Dell Earnings Explainer
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A glance at Dell's (DELL) earnings and forecast reveals financial feet of clay. Fourth quarter earnings and first quarter guidance came in light. Dell, to be certain, is suffering the fate of the PC maker. The company stands unable to compete with the move toward tablets (AAPL), as well as vulnerable to cutbacks in federal and state technology spending. Dell is making attempts to transform into a broader provider of technology services like IBM (IBM), but its efforts so far exist in a state of suspended adolescence.
Dell is also a victim of temporary circumstance: specifically, the Thai floods. But several media outlets, including Investor's Business Daily, make absolutely no mention of the flooding. That's no good. The floods hit the fourth quarter, raising the price of disc-drives and creating a shortage. That's a legitimate and temporary issue. Temporary issues are, of course, better than systemic ones.
Still, while Investor's Business Daily was wrong to ignore Thai flooding as a factor, The Wall Street Journal overplayed it. To the Journal, the flooding was the key factor in Dell's poor performance. It was the focus of the headline ("Disk-Drive Woes Weigh on Dell") and its first point of emphasis. The tablet factor, perhaps the most intractable challenge faced by Dell, was not mentioned until the end, and only in passing, relegated to an afterthought.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV