The Internet services company reported earlier this month fourth-quarter earnings of $22.8 million, or 23 cents a share, down from year-ago earnings of $66.2 million, or 60 cents.
"We do not expect a particular catalyst for AOL this year other than continued execution on display ad growth both on owned and partner sites, " Miller Tabak analysts wrote in a Feb. 2 report. "Upside to our estimates might come from particularly telegraphed ad client wins."Shares of AOL were upgraded to hold from sell by TheStreet Ratings. AOL has an estimated forward price-to-earnings ratio of 21.92; the average for Internet companies is 18.81. For comparison, both J2 Global (JCOM) and Earthlink (ELNK) have lower forward P/Es of 11.41 and 19.15, respectively. Ten of the 16 analysts who cover AOL rated it hold. Five analysts gave it a buy rating and one rated it sell. TheStreet Ratings gives AOL a C- grade. The stock closed Tuesday at $18.63 and has risen 23.38% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV