CAMBRIDGE, Mass. and SUNNYVALE, Calif., Feb. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- StopBadware and Commtouch® (Nasdaq: CTCH) today published a joint report titled " Compromised Websites: An Owner's Perspective" that chronicles webmasters' experiences with hacked websites. The report presents statistics and opinions on how site owners navigate the process of learning their sites have been hacked and repairing the damage. The report's findings are based on a survey Commtouch and StopBadware designed and offered to website owners and webmasters over the course of several months.
Data from the poll reveals that malicious actors are often able to compromise legitimate websites without the site owners' knowledge: over 90% of respondents didn't notice any strange activity, despite the fact that their sites were being abused to send spam, host phishing pages, or distribute malware. Nearly two-thirds of the webmasters surveyed didn't know how the compromise had happened.Other highlights from analysis of the survey's responses include:
- About half of site owners discovered the hack when they attempted to visit their own site and received a browser or search engine warning.
- 26% of site owners had not yet figured out how to resolve the problem at the time they completed the survey.
- 40% of survey respondents changed their opinion of their web hosting provider following a compromise.
- Blog: http://blog.commtouch.com
- Twitter: @Commtouch
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/commtouch
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/commtouch
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV