Pilgrims Pride Corp. Stock Upgraded (PPC)
- PPC's revenue growth trails the industry average of 25.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- PILGRIM'S PRIDE CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PILGRIM'S PRIDE CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$2.32 versus $0.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.40 versus -$2.32).
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 32.27%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 300.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, PILGRIM'S PRIDE CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PILGRIM'S PRIDE CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 1.10%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -4.70% is significantly below that of the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet RatingsStaff
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.