Tug Hill, N.Y.
Project: Wind power
It's never a good sign when documentary crews come into your town looking to use it as a cautionary tale.
Yet that's the role Tug Hill has been assigned in the documentary Windfall. Located in New York's Lewis County, where there are scant zoning rules and part-time local governments, Tug Hill is now home to the huge Maple Ridge wind farm that paid out $1.2 million in local taxes during its first year in operation and promised another $400,000 more in taxes each year. The farmers below, meanwhile, get $6,000 to $10,000 a year for each tower, while some residents get as much as $1,000 a year for the towers' effect on their view.
The 195 turbines stand on towers 400 feet high. Their blades spin at 150 miles an hour. As the documentary points out, however, such turbines can collapse and catch fire, and local fire departments are ill equipped to do anything about them. They throw off chunks of ice in the winter, cause sunlight to flicker during the summer and make a sound akin to airplane noise all year long.The noise and view seem to be the sticking point for folks who aren't getting paid for land use. It's also driven up tax assessments in the area, which isn't sitting well with taxpayers. The windmills generate tax money for the community, but residents say they're not seeing reduction in taxes as a result. They're also not getting any of the power from the mills, which serve 100,000 houses in the surrounding area but none in Tug Hill. At best, it's created a bit of a nuisance on the way to energy independence. At worst, it's divided a community. Still, there's a way it could be much worse:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV