5 Small Businesses Lifted by High Gas Prices
This story was originally published May 15, 2011. It has been updated to include the latest news on oil.
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- After a brief interlude of gas prices falling to less mind-boggling heights (but still over $3 a gallon), prices across the U.S. are surging once again.
This past weekend threat by Iran to cut off many of its biggest European customers has returned oil to the world's top economic concerns.
|As gas prices rise again, a few small businesses win by offering ways to ease the burden.|
It can mean only one thing: rising prices at U.S. pumps once again, with some parts of the country surpassing $4 a gallon gas in the next few weeks and moving even higher this summer.The gas price pain hurt almost everyone. Cynthia Magnuson, spokeswoman for the National Federation of Independent Business, says energy costs are having a negative impact on members across the board. "Even those that might run businesses that try to minimize use of gasoline are really not immune to the rising prices," she says. "A bike shop owner needs his or her products delivered via a gas-guzzling vehicle." Rising fuel prices hit small businesses particularly hard because they tend to absorb increases rather than pass them on to customers as larger companies do, the NFIB says. That said, we found five small companies where sales are up as a result of high gas prices:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV