SYDNEY, Feb. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- CommVault (Nasdaq: CVLT) --
- The highly innovative Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta has deployed CommVault® Simpana® 9 software to increase operational efficiency and manage nearly 160 TBs of student records, courseware and critical enterprise files.
- A model for agile learning spaces and collaborative teaching, Catholic Education serves 78 primary and secondary schools with more than 4,500 teachers and over 42,000 students in New South Wales, Australia. As part of its leading-edge learning and teaching approach, Catholic Education utilises Web 2.0 technologies including YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, as well as video conferencing, interactive whiteboard systems and an e-Library online portal with more than 300,000 books and resources, all supported by a state-of-the-art Cisco Unified Communications network with fibre connectivity for up to three devices per student and more than 23,000 laptops.
- After doubling its network capacity to accommodate an average of 400 TBs of Internet data downloads each month and transitioning from a physical infrastructure to a largely virtual environment as part of a move to modernize its data centre, Catholic Education's IT team began experiencing challenges with the reliability of its backup and restore operations. Also, with compliance requirements to keep student data for up to 25 years – the IT team faced an additional infrastructure burden in terms of long-term data retention and related costs.
- With the overall strategy of the new data centre in mind, the organisation replaced its legacy system – which consolidated three disparate backup applications used separately to each protect vital corporate, Exchange and student data – with Simpana software. With a single platform approach, Catholic Education can now meet its backup windows and restore files in minutes. With CommVault's modern approach to data management, the organisation also has reduced administrative overheads in managing backup procedures in half resulting in significant operational savings.
- With new features including Simpana embedded global deduplication software, the organization now has decreased file system backup data by approximately 56 percent while reducing SQL and Exchange backups by nearly 80 percent. This has helped to significantly improve backup performance, reduced the amount of data on the network, while also enabling the organisation to scale as needs dictate.
Tweet This: @CommVault #Simpana software protects data for one of the world's most technologically advanced school systems http://bit.ly/x1qf7OReaching New Heights in Data Protection
- Catholic Education expects to utilise Simpana software's virtual server agent to extend reliable, easy-to-manage data protection to its fast-growing VMware virtualised environment.
- Additionally, the IT team plans to take advantage of CommVault's SnapProtect™ technology to perform multiple recovery points throughout the day to ensure the ability to meet strict, two-hour service level agreements with the finance department.
- According to Catholic Education, being able to use Simpana software with any combination of disk storage yields economies of scale as the optimal platform can be selected based on performance, retention requirements and price point.
- "It was clear that CommVault was the leading proposal given to us as it was the only solution that met all our criteria. Using one console and a singular platform, we could accomplish everything we required."
- "CommVault's technical services team is very professional and easy to work with. They understood how we work and what we are trying to achieve, so we were impressed by CommVault's response in meeting our objectives."
- "Our strategy is to reduce reactive work from 95 to 50 percent, freeing time to work on more strategic projects. CommVault gives us the ability to respond more efficiently and reduces time spent on reactive tasks."
- "We are very confident in our data protection abilities and our experience of Simpana software has been 100 per cent positive."
- "CommVault's dedupe ratios have exceeded our expectations in terms of reducing enterprise and school data. We were able to decrease our file-system data by nearly 56 percent while deduping SQL and Exchange data produced a savings of nearly 80 percent."
- "Restores have been excellent as we simply hit the 'restore' button and away we go. It typically only takes a couple of minutes to recover Word docs, which are our most frequent recovery requests."
- "We are really looking forward to implementing Simpana software's virtual server agent. CommVault's reporting features will also prove useful in providing greater visibility into both our physical and virtual environment."
- Catholic Education Diocese of Parramatta Case Study
- CommVault® Simpana® 9 Software
- CommVault Simpana for backup and recovery
- CommVault Simpana for deduplication
- CommVault Simpana for virtual server protection
- More CommVault news
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds: http://news.commvault.com/rss-feeds.asp
- Follow CommVault on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CommVault
- Follow CommVault on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CommVault