4. Oriental Financial Group
Shares of Oriental Financial Group (OFG) of San Juan, Puerto Rico, closed at $11.54 Wednesday, down 5% year-to-date, following a 1% decline last year.
The shares trade for 0.8 times their Dec. 30 tangible book value of $15.12.Oriental had $6.7 billion in total assets as of Dec. 30, and saw a major expansion with its purchase of the failed Eurobank of San Juan from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. in April 2010. The company reported a fourth-quarter net loss to common shareholders of $13.1 million, or 31 cents a share, compared to earnings of $3.9 million, or eight cents a share, in the fourth quarter of 2010. The fourth-quarter loss mainly resulted from a $15 million impairment charge on securities. The company repurchased 2.8 million common shares during the fourth quarter, and is authorized under its current buyback plan to repurchase another $40 million worth of shares. The shares trade for 10 times the 2012 consensus EPS estimate of $1.21. The 2013 EPS estimate is $1.66. KBW analyst Derek Hewett rates Oriental Financial Group "Outperform," with a $15 price target, saying on Feb. 1 that the company's "credit still looks relatively good given the difficult operating environment in Puerto Rico," and that its disappointing fourth quarter reflected a 27 basis point decline in the net interest margin to a low 1.74%, "as increased prepayment speeds resulted in higher premium amortization." Oriental Financial Group projects a 2.50% net interest margin for 2012. Hewett estimates that Oriental will earn $1.25 a share in 2012, followed by EPS of $1.65 in 2013. Interested in more on Oriental Financial Group? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV