The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Ryan Fuhrmann
NEW YORK (StreetAuthority) -- It has yet to happen, but some day a public company could reach a total market capitalization of a trillion dollars.
Think it can't happen? Consider that in this era of a global economy, where emerging nations such as China, India and Brazil will soon join the ranks of developed nations (and new emerging countries will rise), there is a chance for a certain class of elite companies to become even more dominant than ever before.But first, let's talk a little about market cap and why a trillion dollar market cap would be so astounding. Market cap is simply the number of shares outstanding of a stock multiplied by its current share price. These days, many companies, such as Pfizer (PFE), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and BP (BP), sport market caps in excess of $100 billion. Fewer still, are companies with market caps in the hundreds of billions -- General Electric (GE) and IBM (IBM) are good examples. Even fewer have what it takes to continue growing at the rates needed to reach a trillion-dollar market cap. But I've come up with three companies that just might do it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV