NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wynn Resorts (WYNN) and former partner Kazuo Okada are embroiled in a lovers' quarrel from hell, with accusations and counter accusations run amok. However, with apologies to plenty of media outlets, like Fox Business, the accusations are not the only part of the story.
Here's the key, as captured correctly, right from the outset by The Financial Times: "because of a disagreement over Mr. Okada's plans to build a gambling resort in the Philippines, thereby becoming a regional competitor, accusations of misconduct are flying back and forth."
In other words, Fox (and friends) fails to give the underlying reason for the quarrel. From its headline ("Okada to Take Legal Action Against Wynn Resorts") down through the bottom of the article, Fox focuses exclusively on the sordid details of the fight. It's an easy temptation: the media love a good, hair-pulling, eye-poking fight.
It is, though, the source of any fight that is most telling. That's what lets us know if the fight will last (since it's based on a competitive struggle for turf by former friends, the answer is: yes) and whether it might get uglier (see: previous factor; answer also yes.) Without any sense of the source of the fight, you have no chance of gauging its course.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV