Gold for April delivery closed up $32.60 at $1,758.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,759.50 and as low as $1,727 an ounce while the spot price was adding $22, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices were also getting a boost from China's decision to lower its reserve requirements for banks. The People's Bank of China announced over the weekend that it was knocking down it's reserve-requirement ratio by 0.5%, a move aimed at boost lending. Some are interpreting this as a sign that China's economy could be slowing. Gold mining stocks were riding gold prices higher Tuesday. Kinross Gold (KGC) was gaining 3.7% at $11.36 while Randgold Resources (GOLD) was 1.1% higher at $112.34. Other gold stocks, Agnico-Eagle (AEM) and Eldorado Gold (EGO) were trading higher at $36.45 and $14.39, respectively. -- Written by Ross Tucker in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ross Tucker. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/rosstucker. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV