BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Traders are trickling back in from the long weekend this morning, coming into the office and onto the trading floor just as the broad market is set to test a key level for stocks. As I write, the Dow sits just shy of 12,950 -- a mere 50 points away from the 13,000 level that's been getting so much attention for the last few days.
While 13,000 is a technical (and psychologically) significant price level, I think that the corresponding 1365 level in the S&P 500 is a more meaningful price to watch out for; in general, the S&P is a much better proxy for the broad market than the more popular Dow is. But whichever index you're watching, the potential for U.S. stocks to move back up to their pre-recession highs is a big deal.
That sort of a move could definitely extend investors' early gains in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV