Apple has just five retail stores in mainland China, but revenue has increased exponentially every year, highlighting the potential for the iPhone, and all things Apple, in the world's most populous nation. In 2009, China accounted for just 2% of Apple's revenue, growing to 12% in 2010. Overall, the Asia-Pacific region accounted for 19% of Apple's total sales in the first quarter of fiscal 2012, up from 17% in the prior year's quarter.
Demand for Apple products has become so intense in China that the company recently had to suspend selling the iPhone 4S at a China Unicom store due to the enormous amount of customers outside. While some believe the episode could have been better handled by Apple, the iPhone maker has undoubtedly become a victim of its own success.
This much is certain. Apple is starting to take advantage of China's enormous potential, selling the iPhone every way it can. Shareholders are extremely pleased with the results, with shares up 24% year-to-date, and 43.2% year-over-year.
Apple shares are up more than 2% in Tuesday trading to $512.72.-- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV