Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Corporation (NASDAQ:GLDD), the largest provider of dredging services in the United States and a major provider of commercial and industrial demolition and remediation services, today reported financial results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2011.
Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Berger said, “We finished 2011 with a solid fourth quarter. Significant effort was made in 2011 to improve the demolition segment and to promote more collaboration with our other lines of business. We saw the fruits of our efforts in the last quarter as demolition posted their biggest earnings quarter ever, with over $6.5 million in operating income for the quarter alone, resulting in positive results for the full year. The dredging segment continued to boost its backlog of significant projects while it performed through unfavorable weather conditions in the quarter. The segment also executed on our strategy to improve asset returns by successfully divesting underutilized assets. Highlights of the fourth quarter included:
- Posted record quarterly earnings in our demolition segment, led by strong fourth quarter results on the I-10 bridge project in Louisiana;
- Increased domestic dredging backlog as a result of an improved annual win rate to 43% of our bid market in the current year;
- Won the East Hidd dredging project, a land reclamation project in Bahrain, of which our portion is $34 million;
- Strong execution on projects in our rivers & lakes division and achieved our forecasted expectations for 2011; and
- Sold the dredge Northerly Island, located in Bahrain, and a piece of property in Texas, for total gains of $8.6 million.
“We were pleased with how many pieces of our strategy came together during 2011. First, we rationalized certain pieces of our property and equipment assets. In 2011, we sold two older, foreign flagged vessels and a piece of land in Texas resulting in gains of over $11 million. This decision realized the best value on the underutilized plant as well as reducing our future maintenance requirements for older, underutilized vessels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV