Total consolidated operating expense in the fourth quarter was $119.2 million. Excluding the effect of pension and impairment expenses in both periods, operating expense in the fourth quarter was $111.4 million, a 9.9 percent decrease compared to the prior year period as salaries, wages and employee benefits, legal, temporary labor, consulting and other expenses all decreased.The Company’s newsprint expense in the fourth quarter was $10.8 million, a decrease of 6.4 percent compared to the prior year period. Newsprint consumption dropped 7.4 percent to 17,152 metric tons. Compared to the prior year period, newsprint cost per metric ton increased 1.0 percent, and the average purchase price per metric ton for newsprint increased 2.0 percent.
- The smallest percentage decrease came at The Dallas Morning News followed by The Providence Journal and The Press-Enterprise
- Display advertising revenue decreased 15.1 percent to $101.6 million
- Preprint revenue decreased 3.9 percent to $87.7 million
- Classified revenue decreased 7.5 percent to $58.2 million
- Digital revenue decreased 3.7 percent to $35.2 million
- Advertising revenue from niche publications, which is included in the display, preprint, classified and digital revenues reported above, increased 1.7 percent to $23.8 million