A. H. Belo Corporation (NYSE: AHC) today reported fourth quarter net income of $0.12 per share compared to a net loss of $5.65 per share in the fourth quarter of 2010. Fourth quarter 2011 net income includes non-cash expenses of $6.5 million for the impairment of Southern California real estate; $2.6 million for net investment-related losses; and $1.4 million for the write-down of spare parts inventory. For the full-year 2011, the Company’s net loss was $0.51 per share compared to a net loss of $5.92 per share in 2010.
Adjusted EBITDA, or earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (“EBITDA”) with pension expense, impairment expense and net investment-related losses added back, was $22.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 – an increase of 42.9 percent compared to the prior year period. Adjusted EBITDA for full-year 2011 was $47.7 million, a decrease of 15.6 percent compared to the prior year period due primarily to $0.1 million of real estate gains in 2011 compared to $7.1 million of real estate gains in 2010.
As of December 31, 2011, cash and cash equivalents were $57.4 million, and the Company had no borrowings under its bank credit facility.
Robert W. Decherd, chairman, president and Chief Executive Officer, said, “We finished the year with improved year-to-year comparables, particularly in Dallas and Riverside. Due to better advertising trends and ongoing expense containment, Adjusted EBITDA in the fourth quarter and full-year 2011 exceeded our expectations.”Decherd continued, “For the third consecutive year, we begin the year with a strong balance sheet and the flexibility to deploy cash in the long-term interests of the Company, its shareholders and employees. In 2012, we will invest approximately $3 million into a new operating initiative at The Dallas Morning News that will provide effective solutions for underserved small and medium-sized businesses. We will also invest $4 million into targeted marketing campaigns to support this launch and other programs focused on consumer revenue. We are one of the few newspaper companies able to re-invest in our business to this degree, and the long-term payoff should be substantial.” Fourth Quarter Results Total revenue was $124.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, a decrease of 4.6 percent compared to the prior year period. Advertising revenue, including print and digital revenues, decreased 8.2 percent compared to the prior year period.
- The smallest percentage decrease came at The Press-Enterprise, followed by The Dallas Morning News and The Providence Journal
- Display advertising revenue decreased 14.3 percent to $28.8 million
- Preprint revenue decreased 3.0 percent to $26.6 million
- Classified revenue decreased 1.5 percent to $15.1 million
- Digital revenue decreased 12.4 percent to $9.1 million
- Advertising revenue from niche publications, which is a component of the display, preprint, classified and digital revenues reported above, was flat at $7.1 million
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV