NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The most recent quarter was full of battleground stocks, with the help of famous hedge fund managers. For some of the most hotly contested stocks, the war rages on.
A number of hedge funds reported their holdings as of the end of the fourth quarter in 13F filings last week. There were varying investment themes across industries, and for the most part the smart money funds bought and sold stocks in their key sectors on the down low, not revealing their positions until last week.
For some activist hedge fund investors, though, their strategies were known early on. This turned some stocks into a battlefield for investors, company management teams and sell-side analysts. Other stocks became battlefields as management judgment and oversight of accounting requirements came into question.Below we review some of the stocks that faced the biggest battles . For some, those fights are far from over, so stay tuned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV