NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The most recent quarter was full of battleground stocks, with the help of famous hedge fund managers. For some of the most hotly contested stocks, the war rages on.
A number of hedge funds reported their holdings as of the end of the fourth quarter in 13F filings last week. There were varying investment themes across industries, and for the most part the smart money funds bought and sold stocks in their key sectors on the down low, not revealing their positions until last week.
For some activist hedge fund investors, though, their strategies were known early on. This turned some stocks into a battlefield for investors, company management teams and sell-side analysts. Other stocks became battlefields as management judgment and oversight of accounting requirements came into question.Below we review some of the stocks that faced the biggest battles . For some, those fights are far from over, so stay tuned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV