The S&P 500 rose 0.07% to 1,359.01 midday Friday.
Shares of Chesapeake Energy rose 3.16% to $24.52. The company was upgraded to buy from hold by Stifel Nicolaus on Friday.
"Firm says if investors look beyond a 12-month horizon, this stock is trading at a cheaper P/NAV than most names and its underlying NAV has been firming up, they think the company should be able to cover its 2012 funding gap, and funding gap begins to shrink in outer years," Briefing.com said of the Stifel Nicolaus report. "Therefore, this becomes an attractive entry point for a company whose stock has gone nowhere since late 2008 and yet has amassed a huge resource exposure with some large acreage positions in some of the best plays."Chesapeake Energy has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 12.12; the average for exploration and production companies is 19.63. For comparison, Valero Energy (VLO) has a lower forward P/E of 6.01 and Noble Energy's (NBL) forward P/E is 12.53. Eighteen of the 37 analysts who cover Chesapeake rated it a buy. Fifteen analysts rated it at hold and four considered it a sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Chesapeake a B- grade with a $28.27 price target. The stock closed Thursday at $23.77 and has risen 9.51% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV