10th-most respectful: RalphLauren.com
Privacy score: 80
Ninth-most respectful: Gap.com
Privacy score: 81
One third-party tracking service, Akamai (AKAM), shows up on 99% of the site's pages. But the service gets high marks across the board: It protects user anonymity, gives consumers the option to opt out, retains data for just 12 months, and adheres to the privacy guidelines of the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance. In other words, the third-party trackers on the Gap.com generally go about their business in a responsible way.
Eighth-most respectful: BestBuy.com
Privacy score: 83
While it loses some points for failing to confirm vendor confidentiality (that is, promising that their service providers will behave when they have access to your data), BestBuy.com (BBY) makes up for it by sticking primarily with consumer-friendly third-party trackers such as the Google Display Network.
Seventh-most respectful: Costco.com
Privacy score: 83
Costco (COST) distinguishes itself by doing very little in the way of third-party tracking. Only one company, CoreMetrics, was found to be engaging in such tracking on Costco.com. And while CoreMetrics gets middling grades from privacyscore for holding onto data for more than 48 months and not being subject to industry oversight, its presence isn't felt much on the site: It showed up just 9% of the time in privacyscore's tests.
Privacy score: 85
Like Costco, there's very little in the way of third-party tracking on this site. Only two trackers, SpecificMedia and Google Display Network, showed up in the privacyscore scans, and neither was a prominent presence on the site. And given that both services get high marks for their data practices, AutoPartsWarehouse.com gets a perfect 50 on that side of the equation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV