NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- These days, it's not enough for an online retailer to sell you merchandise -- now it feels the need to gather intelligence on you while you're there and follow you out of the virtual store to beg you to come back.
Online retailers are among the many Web sites that gather their users' personal data and track browsing habits for their own purposes, and most also make use of third-party tracking software that uses your browsing habits on one site to create targeted ads on another. When it comes to retail, that often takes the form of "retargeting" -- a tracker on a retail site will set a cookie when you leave and suddenly ads for it will appear everywhere you go. (In some cases the ads will be product-specific -- do a search for flash drives on the site, and suddenly you'll see ads all over the Web encouraging you to go back and buy some flash drives.)
|A few e-commerce sites distinguish themselves as more respectful of your privacy.|
But every Web site, retail or otherwise, is different: Some have more consumer-friendly privacy policies than others, and some use third-party tracking software that does a better job of keeping user data anonymous and honoring opt-out requests. To keep them all straight, the new privacyscore.com has devised a metric to rate hundreds of sites across the Web on 0-100 scale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV