Updated with afternoon close information and updated total return data.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wells Fargo (WFC) has consistently outperformed the other members of the "big four" U.S. bank club, and Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman says investors could see "an upside earnings surprise in 2012."
Wells Fargo's shares rose 2% to close at $30.37 Thursday, returning 13% year-to-date. While shares of Bank of America (BAC) were up 44% year-to-date and Citigroup (C) saw a year-to-date total return of 25% through Friday, Wells Fargo's better earnings performance has made it a much less risky play.
- As of Thurdsay's market close, shares of Wells Fargo traded for 1.8 times their Dec. 30 tangible book value, according to HighlineFI, and for 9.5 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $3.20 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
- Bank of America traded for just 0.7 times tangible book value, but for 11.4 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of 71 cents.
- Citigroups' shares were also heavily discounted, at 0.7 times tangible book value, and a much lower 8.2 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $3.98.
- JPMorgan Chase traded for 1.2 times tangible book, and for 8.1 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $4.67.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV