General Electric's financial arm, known as GECS, "has moved from a drag with capital adequacy concerns to a cash 'gusher,' which we believe is being underappreciated in the sum-of-the-parts discussion at GE," Tusa wrote. The analyst kept his "overweight" rating on the stock while lifting his price target to $21 from $20. General Electric shares closed Thursday at $19.01 and were rising in pre-market trading Friday.
GECS "is not just another big bank, and neither is GE," Tusa contends. In making his case, he cites "minimal exposure to headwinds from U.S. mortgage, no capital market operations, a solid 3.5% dividend yield," as well as an acceleration earnings for the industrial side of the company.
Tusa believes GECS could pay out $27 billion in dividends to the parent company from 2013 to 2015, including special dividends and regular payments from the unit. Tusa has had an "overweight" rating on GE since September 2009, when the shares were below $14.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV