Best and Worst States for Small Business
Worst: District of Columbia
Top personal income tax rate: No. 44 at 8.5%
Top individual capital gains rate: No. 45 (tie) at 8.5%
Top corporate income tax rate: No. 50 at 9.975%
Top corporate capital gains rate: No. 50 at 9.975%
Gas tax: 23.5 cents
Wireless tax: 11.7 cents
Internet access tax: No
Our nation's capital is, once again, ranked as the worst state for small business.
It has some of the highest corporate income and corporate capital gains rates, high property taxes, even an added tax for S Corps. The District of Columbia also has the highest state and local debt in the country, a high five-year rate increase in state and local government spending and the highest crime rate in the country.
From the measures the SBE Council uses, the only positive looks like a lack of individual and corporate AMT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV