Best and Worst States for Small Business
Top personal income tax rate: No. 46 at 8.95%
Top individual capital gains rate: No. 47 at 8.95%
Top corporate income tax rate: No. 36 (tie) at 8.5%
Top corporate capital gains rate: No. 37 (tie) at 9%
Gas tax: 26.6 cents
Wireless tax: 8.6 cents
Internet access tax: No
Very high income and capital gains taxes plague Vermont's business climate.
The state also imposes a death tax, has high workers comp costs, a high level of state and local spending and a high five-year rate of increase in state and local government spending.
On a positive note, the state does have very low crime, a high state minimum wage and no individual or corporate AMT. Its share of federal funds as a share of its total revenue is slightly above average, while its state and local debt is below average.Last year, Vermont Lt. Gov. Phil Scott implemented a "Vermont Everyday Jobs" initiative to promote Vermont small businesses as well as strengthen the relationship between the business community and state government. The program seeks to "find out in a hands-on manner what it takes to make Vermont businesses work," so that the governor can "gain a better understanding of what state government can do to help those businesses work better." This week Scott visited with the family-owned and run Smugglers' Notch Distillery in Jeffersonville, where he was taken through the bottling and packaging process, "starting by setting up the still for a gin run, washing and labeling the bottles, signing tax stamps, filling bottles, and packing up cartons," according to a release on Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV