Best and Worst States for Small Business
Fifth-worst: Rhode Island
Top personal income tax rate: No. 28 at 5.99%
Top individual capital gains rate: No. 30 at 5.99%
Top corporate income tax rate: No. 43 (tie) at 9%
Top corporate capital gains rate: No. 9%
Gas tax: 33 cents
Wireless tax: 14.8 cents
Internet access tax: No
Rhode Island is a new addition to the list of five-worst states for small business, having knocked California off. Taking taxes and ancillary expenses into account, Rhode Island does not look appealing. High corporate income and corporate capital gains taxes, high property taxes, a state death tax, high gas and diesel taxes and high wireless taxes don't offset the lack of an AMT and a relatively low five-year increase in state and local spending.
The state also has higher-than-average state and local debt as compared with other states and a higher-than-average share of federal government funds as a share of total revenue.
Rhode Island's Gov. Lincoln Chafee talked about the need to confront the state's burgeoning municipal fiscal issues throughout his campaign in 2010. Since taking office he has "consistently stressed the need to help the state's cities and towns better serve Rhode Islanders," and that means small businesses too.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV