Best and Worst States for Small Business
States business climates are also getting a look from one of the biggest entrepreneurial advocates, The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. Kauffman's 2012 State of Entrepreneurship Address focused on how state and local policymakers can foster start-ups.
"First, with gridlock in Washington, states and localities have more opportunities for reform and fewer institutional obstacles," Kauffman's interim president and CEO, Benno Schmidt, said in his address last week. "Second, our scholars' discussions with entrepreneurs turned up a finding that will be surprising to some: It's state and local laws and regulations that matter to them as much, or more, than federal statutes."
"The bottom line from our reports is simple: States should do all they can to make it easier to start a business," Schmidt said. "Regrettably, many states, in hopes of re-creating Silicon Valley, enact all manner of public programs to promote and help entrepreneurs, but leave in place a legal framework that adheres to a different model of employment."High capital gains taxes will also chase away investment in certain states, and as we all know, access to capital is one of the biggest hurdles for small businesses, Keating adds. Property taxes can also be a huge detriment to the formation of business. "For example, Long Island,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV