MOD-PAC CORP. Reports 43% Increase In Net Income On 15% Revenue Growth In 2011
MOD-PAC CORP. (NASDAQ: MPAC) (the “Company”), a manufacturer of custom and stock paperboard packaging and provider of personalized print products, today announced financial results for its fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2011.
In the fourth quarter of 2011, revenue increased $1.8 million, or 13.7%, to $14.6 million from $12.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. Each of the Company’s product lines contributed to the revenue growth. Net income was $0.4 million, or $0.12 per diluted share, compared with $0.2 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2010. The higher net income reflects positive leverage from higher sales, offset by negative product mix and continued raw material pricing pressures. The prior year fourth quarter includes a $178 thousand, or $0.05 per diluted share, charge for impaired asset write-downs.
Total revenue for 2011 was $56.2 million compared with $48.7 million in 2010, reflecting higher folding carton sales and improved waste sales due to a recovery in the recycling market. Net income increased 43.3% to $1.9 million, or $0.55 per diluted share, in 2011 from $1.3 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, in 2010. Higher revenue along with productivity and cost reduction initiatives drove the net income increase.
Daniel G. Keane, President and CEO, commented, “As a result of our continued implementation of our targeted sales strategy, we delivered strong performance in 2011. This was primarily led by growing business from existing customers and increased market-share gains in our custom folding cartons line.”Fourth Quarter 2011 Sales Review
- Sales of custom folding cartons were up 17.7% to $10.3 million in the 2011 fourth quarter from $8.7 million in the prior year fourth quarter, mainly due to business from one new customer, increased sales to two relatively new customers and increased waste sales.
- Stock packaging sales increased 4.9%, or $0.2 million, to $3.5 million in the fourth quarter, primarily due to improved market conditions.
- Personalized print sales were $660,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011, up slightly from $621,000 in the fourth quarter of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV