5. Informatica (INFA)
Company profile: Informatica sells enterprise data integration software, which helps companies gather, analyze, and order data located in disparate systems and databases.
Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 29% this year and have a three-year annualized return of 51%. T. Rowe Price, Fidelity and Columbia Wanger Asset Management each owned 11% of its shares at the end of 2011. S&P found five "buy" ratings, five "buy/holds," 11 "holds," and one "sell," in its survey of analysts.
4. Salesforce.com (CRM)Company profile: Salesforce.com is the leading provider of hosted customer relationship management (CRM) software services, which includes its lead product, its salesforce automation software. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 29% this year and have a three-year annualized return of 69%. Fidelity owns 14.8% of its shares, more than double that of the next largest shareholder. S&P downgraded the shares to "strong sell" from "hold," on Feb. 14, as its shares have exceeded S&P's price target and because it is facing increased competition. But many other analysts remain bullish as it has 17 "buy" ratings, 14 "buy/holds," seven "holds," one "weak hold," and five "sells," according to S&P's survey. 3. SolarWinds (SWI) Company profile: SolarWinds, with a $2.7 billion market value, is a developer of software products aimed at serving the needs of small and medium-size business users of network, storage and virtualization management tools. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 32% this year and 72% since its public launch in 2009. Analysts expect its earnings will grow 15% to $1.14 per share this year. S&P's survey of analysts' ratings found five "buy" ratings, three "buy/holds," five "holds," and one "sell." Fidelity owns 8.3% of its shares, almost double that of the next largest shareholder at the end of 2011, and it almost doubled the number of shares it owns to 6 million in the fourth quarter. 2. Rovi (ROVI) Company profile: Rovi is a provider of interactive programming guides and search services that are embedded into consumer electronics products. Customers include movie studios, record labels, and hardware manufacturers. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 39% this year and have a three-year annualized return of 32%. S&P found nine "buy" ratings, four "buy/holds," three "holds," and one "sell," in its survey of analysts. For fiscal 2012, those same analysts expect Rovi's earnings to grow by 6% to $2.60 per share. 1. Parametric Technology (PMTC) Company profile: Parametric Technology, with a market value of $3.2 billion, licenses computer-aided design, product life-cycle management, and enterprise content management software that allows clients in several industries to design and build products faster. Investor takeaway: Its shares are up 47% this year and have a three-year annualized return of 39%. Columbia Management owned almost 11% of its shares at the end of 2011, almost double that of the next largest investor. The biggest customers for its product life-cycle management (PLM) products are in the aerospace and auto industries, which are subject to cyclical downturns, but they appear to be in an up-cycle now. S&P has its shares rated "hold" on valuation concerns, but its survey of analyst found four "buy" ratings, four "buy/holds," and four "holds."' >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 15 Hot, Highly Rated Technology Stocks of 2012 portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV