NEW YORK (TheStreet Ratings) -- Month after month the list of exchange-traded funds continues to grow. Each narrow sub-category of investment classification is a candidate for its own tradable security.
To qualify for a risk-adjusted return ranking with TheStreet Ratings, new exchange-traded funds or notes must trade for a 12 full months. Eight new exchange-traded funds that began trading in December completed their first full calendar month of trading in January.
Being new, the following securities may remain thinly traded until they catch on with investors.
8. PowerShares DB US Deflation ETN (DEFL) seeks to provide exposure to month-over-month returns of the DBIQ Duration-Adjusted Deflation Index. The fund seeks to provide investors with the ability to gain exposure to US inflation expectations as implied by the difference in yields between TIPS and US Treasury bond indexes before a 0.75% expense ratio.This ETN takes a notional short position in TIPS and a notional long position in US Treasury bonds. If the inflation protected Treasuries underperform normal Treasuries of similar maturity then these ETNs can gain value on the expectation of future deflation. In January, the fund lost 0.3%. As these securities are exchange-traded notes, they are unsecured debt obligations of Deutsche Bank AG, London Branch (DB) subject to the credit risk of the issuer. Other important risks include no protection of principal, concentrated exposure, and the issuer's right to call the securities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV