On February 9th, 2012, we sold $433 million in principal amount of Non-Agency mortgage-backed securities as part of a re-securitization. In connection with this transaction, $186.7 million of senior bonds rated AAA by DBRS were issued to third-party investors via a trust. These bonds, with an average life of 1.9 years, were priced at a 2.75% yield. As required by GAAP, MFA will consolidate the re-securitization and will account for this transaction as a financing.
At year-end, our debt-to-equity ratio, including the liabilities underlying our Linked Transactions was 3.7:1. Our Agency portfolio had an amortized cost of 102.6% of par as of December 31st, 2011 and generated a 3.14% yield in the fourth quarter. Our Non-Agency portfolio had an average amortized cost of 72.8% of par as of December 31st, 2011 and generated a loss-adjusted yield of 7.06% in the fourth quarter.
We continued to selectively find value in the Agency MBS market. In addition, we continued to implement our strategy of identifying and acquiring Non-Agency mortgage-backed securities with what we consider to be superior loss-adjusted yields at prices well below par. We believe that we continue to be run on a very cost-effective basis for the benefit of our stockholders. For the three months ended December 31st, 2011, our cost for compensation and benefits and other G&A expenses were $6.6 million or 1.06% on an annualized basis of stockholders' equity as of December 31st, 2011. Our goal remains to continue positioning MFA to generate double-digit returns on equity over time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV