Updated with market close information and revised year-to-date returns.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jefferies analyst Ken Usdin on Thursday highlighted four regional bank holding companies "better positioned to show growth" in core earnings, with industry consolidation playing a role.
Usdin expects "large/mid-cap regionals to post decent pre-provision income (PPNR) growth, aided by declining credit-related costs."
Pre-provision revenue is a very useful tool to help analysts and investors understand what's really going on with a bank since at this point in the economic recovery, most of the large industry players are appropriately releasing loan loss reserves which has the effect of distorting bottom-line results.With banks continuing to face pressure on their net interest margins in the prolonged low-rate environment, Usdin expects, on average, "low single-digit net interest income growth" this year, and says that major regional players "capable of growing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV