Shares of J.M. Smucker fell 7.82% to $72.04 on about three times its average daily trading volume. The company reported Thursday third-quarter earnings of $116.8 million, or $1.03 a share, which fell from year-ago earnings of $132 million, or $1.11 a share.
Adjusted earnings in the quarter were $1.22 a share. Analysts were anticipating $1.41 a share in earnings."SJM is yet another company to point out lower consumer demand across the food industry. This is a potentially negative read-through for traditional grocers and other food manufacturers, which may be dealing with more elasticity than anticipated as consumers are no longer accepting higher retail prices," JPMorgan analysts wrote in a report Thursday. J.M. Smucker has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 12.93; the average for food products companies is 13.76. For comparison, Campbell Soup (CPB) and Tyson Foods (TSN) both have lower forward P/Es of 12.78 and 8.11, respectively. Of the 17 analysts who cover J.M. Smucker, 10 gave it a hold rating, six rated it a buy and one called it a sell. TheStreet Ratings gives J.M. Smucker an A+ grade with a $102.01 price target. The stock has fallen 7.53% year to date. -- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV