The S&P 500 rose 3.76 points Thursday to 1,346.99.
Shares of Amazon dropped 4.68% to $175.83. The company was downgraded Thursday by Morgan Stanley (MS) analysts to equal-weight from overweight.
"We expect Amazon.com's share price to experience downward pressure as the market digests mixed data points," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a report Thursday. "Apple's strength in iPhone and iPad sales are negatively affecting Amazon.com by accelerating the company's transition from physical to digital media sales (which has effects on sales, margins and ROIC) as well as impacting Electronics & General Merchandise ("EGM") growth. Additionally, the ongoing share shift from Amazon.com owned-inventory to Third Party ("3P") / Fulfillment by Amazon ("FBA") units may challenge ROIC through decelerating asset turnover and decreased cash flow from negative working capital."Amazon has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 44.44; the average for broad-line retailers is 27.43. For comparison, Wal-Mart (WMT) and Costco (COST) both have lower forward P/Es of 12.69 and 19.21, respectively. Twenty-three of the 40 analysts who cover Amazon rated it a buy. Sixteen gave it a hold rating and one rated it a sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Amazon a C+ grade with a hold rating. The stock has risen 1.74% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV