China Tries to Play Nice
Yet there is political resistance too. The conservative Heritage Foundation found that last year almost $33 billion in deals were blocked by officials in the target country, including Bright Food Group's attempt to buy France's Yoplait. China's Ministry of Finance estimates that some $60 billion in deals were approved.
In a similar way that the U.S. once triangulated, using China to help check the Soviet Union, so too is China using Europe to triangulate the U.S. Europe offers China a way to at last partially diversify away from the U.S. dollar. Europe is also an important buyer of China's goods, allowing it to diversify away from the largest consumer market in the world (the U.S.).
One important political concession that China is seeking is for Europe to classify it as a market economy. The current designation of as a non-market economy makes it easier for European companies to seek redress against Chinese trade practices. Yet China is likely to find what other great powers including the U.S., have found: It is difficult to translate financial prowess into political leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV